This is the online portfolio of me – Cobi Smith. I’m pictured on the right, in work mode. There are also photos of me looking less serious.
As of January 2015 I’m back in Australia for intense PhD mode, with occasional breaks for play & sharing.
March-June I was a Visiting Scholar at Melbourne Law School, incorporating international law and human rights into my science communication PhD.
My PhD is with the Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science. It’s part-time as I’ve been working throughout, as well as taking leave for intensive project work. I started my PhD originally as an MPhil when I returned to Australia from Cambridge.
Until March 2014 I was an Australian Youth Ambassador for Development for a year with the Asia Indigenous Peoples Pact (AIPP), based in Chiang Mai in northern Thailand. I was based within AIPP’s research and communication development team supporting their environment, gender, human rights and capacity building programs.
I’m also a comedian and producer, information about which is at Time to Krill.
I’ve lived on five continents, specifically in the countries Australia, Canada, Chile, England, France, Italy, Switzerland and Thailand. Officially I’m an Australian citizen, but philosophically I consider myself a citizen of the world.
Once upon a time I was a broadcast journalist, then writer, editor, producer, developer, researcher… now I embrace being all of those things to varying degrees on different projects. Most of my work is in science, technology, environment, health and development – and comedy. Concise Science (one of the domains you might reach this site through) was the name of my UK business when I was based there, and is the name through which I do freelance/consulting work in Australia.
If you have a science/tech/human rights/development project you’d like me to get involved with, please email me with some details about you, the project and your budget at:
cobi @ concisescience . com (remove the spaces – they supposedly reduce spam).
If you’d like to book me as MC, performer or guest for your show, then email me with some details about you, the project and your budget at:
cobi @ timetokrill . com
If you want to talk about my PhD research, then email me at:
cobi . smith @ anu . edu . au
If you want to talk about my work on projects for the University of Melbourne, then email me at:
cobi . smith @ unimelb . edu . au
if you find this array of email addresses too bewildering and overwhelming, you can write a comment on the bottom of this page instead and I’ll get back to you. It won’t appear on the site. Or use Twitter, I check that often.
Transparency is important to me; I’m becoming something of an open activist. In the interests of transparency, here are lists of organizations and causes I’ve been involved with. They’re roughly divided into whether money or in-kind support have flowed from them to me, or from me to them. But there’s (inevitably?) some overlap. If you’re involved with an organisation that I’ve overlooked, do send me an email to remind me and I can add it to the list.
My work has been supported by these organisations:
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- Australian Centre for Plant Functional Genomics
- Australian Centre for the Public Awareness of Science
- Australian Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research
- Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Australian National University
- Australian Research Council
- Austraining International
- Cambridge Media Group
- Citizen Cyberlab
- Community Broadcasting Association of Australia
- East of England Development Agency
- Eco Voice
- Enterprising Women
- European Social Fund
- European Commission
- Grains Research and Development Corporation
- Independence Educational Publishing
- Law Society of South Australia
- Melbourne Law School
- Radio Adelaide
- Royal Institution of Australia
- Science and Development Network
- South Australian Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources
- South Australian Department of Further Education, Employment, Science and Technology
- United Nations Institute of Training and Research
- University of Adelaide
- University of Cambridge
- University of Melbourne
- University of South Australia
- Wellcome Trust
- Wikimedia Australia
I have supported or been involved with the following organisations:
- Ada Initiative
- Adelaide Fringe Festival
- Asia Indigenous Peoples Pact
- Association of British Science Writers
- Australian International Documentary Conference
- Australasian Evaluation Society
- Australian Science Communicators
- Building Community Voices
- Cambodia Indigenous Youth Association
- Cambridge Association for Women in Science and Engineering
- Australasian Evaluation Society
- Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science
- Documentary Filmmakers Group
- Engineers Without Borders
- Free Bird Cafe
- Hackerspace Adelaide
- Hub Melbourne
- Indigenous Voices in Asia
- Inspiring Australia
- International Association for Public Participation
- Medecins Sans Frontieres
- Media 140
- Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance
- Media Trust
- Open Knowledge
- Peace Child International
- Public Lab
- Science Rewired
- South Australian Museum
- The Reading Room
- Tuxedo Cat
- World Congress of Science and Factual Producers